Bahamas Real Estate | Hurricane Season is Here

Image

June 1st marked the beginning of the 2014 hurricane season in The Bahamas. The season lasts from June 1st – November 30th. As reported, by The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA’s) Climate Prediction Centre, forecasting calls for a near-normal or below-normal season. The outlook calls for a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season, according to NOAA. For the six-month hurricane season, NOAA predicts a 70 percent likelihood of eight to 13 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which three to six could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including one to two major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher).The named storms are: Arthur, Bertha, Cristobal, Dolly, Edouard, Fay, Gonzalo, Hanna, Isaias, Josephine, Kyle, Laura, Marco, Nana, Omar, Paulette, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, and Wilfred.

We at Mario Carey Realty want to help everyone prepare for this years hurricane season. Below are some precautionary measures for you to consider in taking the necessary actions.

Before the storm:

– Make sure to find all safe evacuation routes inland.
– Become aware of the locations of ALL official shelters.
– Make sure you have all the necessary equipment such as flashlights, generators, and battery-powered equipment such as cell phones and your NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards receiver.
– Buy food that will keep, and store drinking water.
– Buy plywood, shutters, or other material to protect your home if you don’t already have it.
– Trim trees and shrubbery so branches don’t fly into your home.
– Clear clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
– Figure out where to move your boat.
– Review your insurance policy to make sure they cover flood damage.
– Find pet-friendly hotels on your evacuation route (for those with animals they can’t live without)

Image

During the Storm:
When in a “Watch” Area:
– Frequently listen to radio, TV or NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards for official bulletins of the storm’s progress.
– Fuel and service family vehicles.
– Inspect and secure mobile home tie downs.
– Ensure you have extra cash on hand.
– Prepare to cover all windows and doors with shutters or other shielding materials.
– Check batteries and stock up on canned food, first aid supplies, drinking water and medications.
– Bring in light-weight objects such as garbage cans, garden tools, toys and lawn furniture.
When in a Warning Area:
– Closely monitor radio, TV or NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards for official bulletins.
– Close storm shutters.
– Follow instructions issued by local officials. Leave immediately if ordered!
– Stay with friends or relatives at a low-rise inland hotel or at a designated public shelter outside the flood zone.
– DO NOT stay in a mobile or manufactured home.
– Notify neighbors and a family member outside of the warned area of your evacuation plans.
– Take pets with you if possible, but remember, most public shelters do not allow pets other than those used by used by people with disabilities. Identify pet-friendly hotels along your evacuation route.
 Image
Plan to Leave if You:
– Live in a mobile home. They are unsafe in high winds no matter how well fastened to the ground.
– Live on the coastline, an offshore island or near a river or a flood plain.
– Live in a high rise building. Hurricane winds are stronger at higher elevations.
You can find all of this information here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s